Monday, June 28, 2010

Charles Burr Interview


Last week Encore Michigan ran a nice interview with Charles Burr.

A FEW MINUTES WITH: Charles Burr, artistic director of Tibbits Summer Theatre
By Donald V. Calamia

For many Michiganders, the summer is not complete without a visit to Coldwater and Tibbits Summer Theatre. Begun in 1964, the company performs in the Tibbits Opera House, which opened in 1882 and is one of the few remaining facilities of its kind in the United States. Long-time artistic director Charles Burr talked recently to EncoreMichigan.com about his popular theater and the new musical revue he co-created that will open the 2010 summer season June 24.


Tibbits Summer Theatre is about to open its 47th season, and you've been associated with the company for 28 of those years in one capacity or another. What first brought you to Tibbits?


In the summer of 1981 I was performing in Fiddler on the Roof just up the street from Tibbits at the old True Grist Dinner Theatre in Homer. It was a 10-week run and I really needed to be seeing other shows. Well, my long time partner and collaborator, Bobb James, was performing at the Tibbits that summer. I fell in love with the theater. I auditioned for the next season and wound up playing Moonface Martin in Anything Goes.


Not to forget my stunning portrayal of Henry Higgin's butler...I came back as an actor for each season after that. I was directing at least one show a year by 1985 and was named artistic director by 1991.

Follow link to rest of the interview: MORE

No comments:

Post a Comment